
Hi friends, my name is Clark, welcome to my new blog. I'm surprised that it would come to this--me actually starting a blog--because I've always recoiled at the thought. But these are special times yielding me special circumstances. So here we are!
That's me in the picture above. And that's Europe in the background. More specifically, that's the Mariendom Cathedral in Erfurt, Germany (my European hometown), the town which has been the cradle of so much of my European experience.
I hope that serves as a nice lead-in for just why I am creating this blog in the first place--I am finally going back to Europe, and I want to document my newest experience in the Old World. I want to do this for two main reasons.
The first reason is mostly personal--I owe so much of who I am and what I do to my time already spent on the continent. That time was mostly in Germany, where I lived, taught and studied for one year after graduating college. In light of that, those of y'all who know me might appreciate tracking my steps through Europe starting in three weeks. Hopefully I won't be too reticent about my thoughts, and y'all can get to know me a little bit better through whatever vicariousness a travel blog can deliver.
The second reason is mostly, well, "journalistic." I guess that term pretty much encompasses blogging in general, but my reason for using the term is more specific. I am traveling to and through Europe as a member of UT's international arbitration moot court team. We are competing in two different events--the first is at the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris, the second is at the Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court in Vienna.
For me, the chance to represent The University in such worldwide competitions is unparalleled. And I say this not because of whatever esoteric, abstract value might inhere in representing "The University," but because representing "The University" means representing y'all (at least, all of us blessed enough to call UT home). So, I'm writing the blog so that y'all can keep up with how the team is doing against the other top teams from around the globe.
The fact that you've read this far has me pretty stoked to begin with. And please, keep the comments coming--they'll be motivation for me to keep blogging!
3 comments:
(bah! sorry for the delete!)
Hi Clarky! I made it all the way to the end, but hold the shock...I accidentally rocked out to a Bob Dylan song this morning. *That's* shocking. ;)
cool. i expect a full report.
lucas
Post a Comment